About Me

My photo
My name is Ashley and I am 20 years old.

Monday, January 24, 2011

OCD... what is it? how can we fix it?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, a mental illness resulting in persistant illogical fears and ideas, and often, particular habits created and followed out so as to avoid the fears and anxiety they cause.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, commonly referred to as OCD; affects approximately 2.2 million American adults age 18 and older, or about 1.0 percent. *1 in 100 people have OCD*

Nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of all sufferers will find that their OCD has it's roots in childhood, some will even show signs in their pre-school years. Cases of OCD have been reported in children as young as 1.5, needless to say it's hard to make the diagnosis at such a young age (Lack of development of speech being 1 reason.). Around the age of 6 the linguistic abilities of the child make it easier to find out the existence of OCD, this co- relates with the age where most children show their first real signs of OCD.
In most cases however, symptoms will start to show while being a teenager or in early adulthood.

  • Although many people suffer from OCD, many are also still hiding their symptoms and surveys estimate that less than 10 % of those suffering are currently in treatment.

  • The presence of any aggression or oppositional defiant disorder has been said to indicate a poorer prognosis.

  • Typically OCD and it's symptoms will worsen due to Stress, Illnesses and Fatigue.

    -For Instance, I have OCD. I do things in "3"'s if you will.  When I wash my hands, I do it in a 3 count.
    -When I count things, I do it in 3's. When I type, I type letters in "3"'s.
    -I also have to have my clothes folded a certain way. If it is not right, I will do it over and over again, until it is perfect.
    -My movies and books have to be in alphabetical order, and by series. Nothing can be out of place.
    - I also, have to spell things correctly.

    It seems insane, but it is true.

  • OCD will evolve throughout a person's life. Some will experience moments where their OCD almost disappears or becomes milder. For these people the anticipation of knowing it will or might come back is very distressing. Others will see how the OCD takes over more and more of their lives and will eventually take over completely making it impossible for them to function normally in life/society, this of course if left untreated or when no serious effort is made to fight back.
    So treatment is crucial.

  • You have 4 approaches: Pharmacological., Therapeutical. and Self Help. and finally Surgery. Some will benefit from therapy alone, some from medication while most will find a combination of the options most helpful


  • I strongly am against the surgery. So, I ask if you do want help controlling your OCD, seek professional help. I, for one, love having OCD although at times, it is difficult to maintain. (especially at other peoples houses.)

    <3Ashley
    GO STEELERS!

    1 comment:

    1. I have severe OCD. I do things in four sets of four. My books and movies and magazines are organized by genre then alphabetical order within each genre. My vanity has to be organized just right or it honestly bothers me so badly I can't sleep. My blankets on my bed have to be exactly even on both sides or I have to get out of bed to fix it. My earrings are organized by size, shape and color. My refrigerator has to be organized just right. It drives people crazy at times. But I would never have surgery. I like myself a little crazy. It's better than being a slob.

      ReplyDelete